Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Zucchini Cheese Pie

I made two of these pies for brunch last weekend.  It is a recipe I have been making since I was in my early 20's  Helped get me through university cheaply.  It is pretty easy to make and popular - I had a "never eat zucchini person" have a large piece.  The original recipe used Bisquick mix but I replaced it with a good flour, baking powder, sugar/honey, olive oil and some salt.  I made mine gluten free with sorghum flour but you can substitute wheat flour.  Doubles well and freezes well.


This pie looks nice baked in a cheesecake type spring form pan and decorated on top with slices of zucchini and fresh herbs.  You can use other cheese - I've made if before with half gouda and half goat cheese.  This one just good aged parmesan and a old cheddar.  We ate it before a picture of the baked pie was ever taken!  I'll an update with a photo shortly.

Makes one pie - 6 servings

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups zucchini, diced - 750 ml
4 eggs, medium
1/4 cup olive oil - 60 ml
1/2 cup onion, diced - 125 ml
1 cup whole grain flour - I used sorghum - 250 ml
1 1/2 tsp baking powder - 7.5 ml
1/4 tsp salt - 1.25 ml
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground - 2.5 ml
1 tsp sugar or honey - 5 ml
2 Tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped - 30 ml
1 Tbsp basil, fresh, chopped - 15 ml
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded - or other hard grating cheese like Romano - 75 ml
1 cup cheddar cheese, extra old, shredded - 250 ml

1. Chop the zucchini.  You need 3 cups.  I used a bit more per pie.  Set aside some nice slices for the top if you have enough.



2. Puree the eggs, onion, olive oil, diced onion, flour, baking powder, sugar/honey, salt, pepper and fresh herbs in blender or food processor.


















3. Pour into a large bowl. Stir in the grated cheese.  It is a stiff batter. Pour into an 8 x 8" greased pan or deep dish pie plate. I also make this in a spring form pan - like one you'd use for a baked cheese cake.  Decorate top with some squash slices and fresh herbs pressed into the batter.




 Bake 45 minutes in a 350'F oven. Serve warm or cold. Small slices are nice as appetizers.



 
NUTRITION FACTS (per 1/6th pie): 320 calories, 21 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 135 mg cholesterol, 420 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fibre, 14 g protein.  %Daily Values: 8% vitamin A, 25% vitamin C, 25% calcium and 10% iron.  %DV are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

(c) Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc.

Visit my website to find out more about online nutrition counselling. http://nancyguppy.com/

No comments: