Sunday, December 18, 2011

Potato Tofu Latkes (gluten free)


I have been making these potato latkes with tofu since my university days.  Simple, satisfying and economical.  The tofu boosts the protein and makes them more substantial.  I like to serve them with my recipe for simple applesauce.  Some people would reach for the sour cream.  The latkes also sub as a veggie burger and freeze well.  Lots of options.

# volume
(# mL)
Ingredient
2.2 lb
1 kg
Potatoes, grated (not peeled) – about 5 medium
¾ lb
350 g
Tofu – I used firm as it has less moisture
6
6
Eggs, medium
¼ c + 2 T
90 ml
Flour – your choice (I used brown rice flour)
1 cup
250 ml
Onion, diced
2
2
Garlic, cloves
1 tsp
5 ml
Dill, dried
½ tsp
2.5 ml
Salt, fine
1/4 cup
60 ml
Oil for frying

Makes 16 patties - latkes


METHOD:

1.  Add all ingredients except for potatoes to bowl of food processor.  Process until smooth.

I used some dried dill that I bought from Rita at the Powassan Farmer's Market. 



2.  Grate potatoes.  I used 5 medium size red potatoes that weighed in at a kilogram.  These potatoes are from the 50 lb bag I bought from Vicki and Maurice of the Schlosser Farm in Trout Creek last fall.  $15 - good deal.


Place grated potatoes in a colander and leave in sink to drain.  Use your hands to press down and remove moisture.  Don't skip this step.  

 3.  Add tofu mixture and grated potatoes to a large bowl.  Mix well.  Season with salt.


I used a 2 oz/60 ml disher to measure out my latkes.  These portion control scoops are awesome for all kinds of baking and cooking jobs.  If you buy the food service quality they should last you your lifetime.  I have three I use all the time - 2, 3 and 4 oz.  They are a quick way to dig in and measure items like yogurt and peanut butter as well.  Find them at a restaurant supply store.


4.  Heat a tablespoon of oil in pan. Drop scoops into hot pan.  Press down with a fork to flatten out.  Fry until browned on both sides.  



Latkes are best fried but you can do them in a non-stick pan if you wish.  Here I am using one of my cast iron fry pans dated 1880 on the bottom and made in Brockville, Ontario. I think we can rest safe that no non-stick pan will be around 130 years from now!





Cook in batches, adding more oil as needed.  Keep warm in the oven.  Serve very hot with applesauce



NUTRITION FACTS:





Calories (per 1/16th recipe)
150
Protein (g)
7
Total Fat (g)
7
Saturated Fat (g)
1
Carbohydrate (g)
16
Fibre (g)
1
Cholesterol (mg)
60
Sodium (mg)
100
%DV

Calcium
6
Iron
6
Vitamin A
0
Vitamin C
20



Tastefully yours,
Nancy Guppy, RD
Email

Visit me at www.chapmanslanding.com where you can find out what's
cooking on my class calendar. If you are interested in nutrition or diet
counselling pop over to www.nancyguppy.com. A lot of health plans cover the cost of consulting an RD.

1 comment:

Restaurant Brugge said...

great post thanks 4 sharing