Saturday, August 22, 2009

Creamy Tarragon Vinaigrette



We had this creamy vinaigrette made with aromatic French Tarragon on our fresh from the garden salad tonight. It's easy to make and much better tasting than store-bought dressings. I can't say it costs less though as I use healthy XV olive oil and white wine vinegar but I like that it is very low sodium, has no sugar and is additive free.

The vinaigrette is also good drizzled over new boiled potatoes, steamed green beans, grilled tofu, vegetables, chicken, white fleshed fish, shrimp or scallops. I've also used it as a dip for vegetables. I admit I am still not a very good photographer but I am learning more as I go and that is part of my motivation for writing my food blog!




Makes 1 1/2 cups - 375 ml

1/4 cup fresh tarragon (or fresh basil or mint)- 60 ml
1/4 cup green onions (or chives or shallot tops)- 60 ml
1/4 cup parsley - 60 ml
1/2 cup XV Olive Oil (or mild oil like sunflower) - 125 ml
1/2 cup white wine vinegar (Champagne vinegar is special used here) - 125 ml
1 egg, medium, raw (optional)
1 clove garlic
2 tsp Dijon mustard - 10 ml
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper - 2.5 ml


METHOD:

1. Wash tarragon and remove leaves from the tougher, older stems. You can use the softer, newer stems.

2. Add the green onions and parsley with the oil, vinegar, egg, garlic, Dijon mustard and freshly ground black pepper to the jar of a blender or food processor. Blend for 30 or more seconds until creamy and emulsified. Be sure to process long enough to puree the garlic and herbs or you will end up with little chunks.



You can see that I didn't chop the tarragon, parsley or green onions as I am going to let the blender do the work. If you don't have one of these appliances just mince everything small and whisk together in bowl or shake all together in glass jar with a tight fitting lid.

The dressing is perishable as it contains an egg so be sure to store in refrigerator until serving. It will keep for 3 days.

NUTRITION FACTS (per 1 Tbsp/15 ml):45 calories, 4.5 grams fat, 0.5 grams saturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 10 mg sodium, 0 mg carbohydrate, 0 g sugar.

© Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc
Visit me at www.chapmanslanding.com
for course information, menus and registration.

No comments: