Saturday, April 18, 2009

Maple Dijon Vinaigrette - preferably with Wild Leeks


This vinaigrette is amazing as a salad dressing but also as a marinade and grill basting sauce for onions, potatoes, squash and zucchini, chicken, lamb, salmon and pretty much anything else!!


This recipe features maple syrup as part of "a year of food by the season." But, the wild leeks are pretty special too! They won't come into season around here until approximately mid-May depending on how warm our spring is. I will feature them more then. If you don't have access to wild leeks you can substitute garlic and/or onion of your choice. I freeze a good supply of wild leeks so I can cook with them throughout the fall and winter. My favourite vinegar for this recipe is an organic balsamic but today I have used an organic apple-based cider vinegar. I also used a Honey Mustard from Board's Honey Farm.

I like the information on wild leeks show at:
www.ontariowildflowers.com/main/species.php?id=119

1/2 cup maple syrup - 125 ml
1/2 cup olive oil, extra virgin, cold-pressed - 125 ml
1/2 cup cider vinegar - 125 ml
1 Tbsp mustard (like Dijon or honey mustard) - 15 ml
1/2 cup leeks, bulb and lower leaf, chopped - 125 ml
1 Tbsp rosemary, minced (or fresh herb you have growing) - 15 ml

I puree the concoction using my stick blender and store it in a glass bottle with a lid in the refrigerator.



Nutrition Facts (per 14 g/15 ml serving): 50 calories, 4 g fat, .5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 5 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate with 3 g sugar, 0 g protein.

No comments: