Saturday, August 17, 2013

Gluten Free Quinoa Kale Breakfast Muffins

I made these quinoa kale breakfast muffins this morning.  Ate a few and will save the rest for my work week portable breakfasts.  I like them cold but they also reheat well.  Serve with salsa for extra zing! The recipe makes six muffins.  It is also enough for a smaller 9 inch (23 cm) pie plate.



INGREDIENTS:
Makes 6

1/2 cup quinoa, cooked - 125 ml
1 Tbsp oil - 15 ml
1/4 cup onion, diced - 60 ml
1/4 cup red pepper, sweet, diced - 60 ml
6 medium mushrooms, sliced
1 cup kale, shredded - 250 ml
1/4 tsp sea salt - 1.25 ml
1 tsp thyme, leaves, fresh - 5 ml
4 each eggs, medium - I used organic
1/3 cup sour cream - I used 14% MF organic - plain yogurt works too
1/2 cup cheese, sliced or shredded - I used Jarslberg
1/4 tsp paprika - 1.25 ml

METHOD:

1  Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).  Prepare a 6 - well muffin tin by coating with oil/butter or insert paper liners.  This smaller muffin tin fits in my toaster oven which I tend to use these days for baking as I mostly live alone.

  

THESE did stick a bit to the vintage muffin pan although I oiled them really well.  I couldn't resist trying out the reclaimed muffin pan though.  Below is another one I really like.


2.  Cook the quinoa according to package directions in unsalted water.  Set aside to cool.  


Press a heaping tablespoon of quinoa into the bottom of each of the six wells.


3.  Heat oil in a skillet. Sauté the sliced mushrooms, diced red pepper and onion and sliced kale for 5 minutes. Divide among the 6 wells.



4.   Beat eggs with sour cream in a blender or food processor.  Divide among the 6 wells.  I used my bullet.  Perfect for small jobs.



5.  Sprinkle tops with sliced or grated cheese and finish with a sprinkle of paprika.  I used Jarlsberg as I am a fan of Swiss cheese.


6.  Bake for 30-40 minutes or until egg is set.  Test them with a knife - insert in centre and if comes out clean they are cooked through.  Remove from the oven and let stand to cool five minutes before serving.  


NUTRITION FACTS (per one muffin - 1/6th recipe): 140 calories, 10 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 120 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fibre, 1 g sugar, 8 g protein.   % Daily Values are 25% Vitamin A, 40% Vitamin C, 10% calcium and 10% iron.

(c) Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc.  
Visit my website to find out more about online nutrition counselling. http://nancyguppy.com/ 



No comments: