Saturday, March 24, 2012

Maple Thyme Tea


Maple syrup, fresh thyme and green tea are a winning combination for a hot drink.  If you don't have fresh thyme on hand the dried will work but not taste quite as delicious.  Often we don't think of adding fresh herbs to our tea.  


I am finishing up this thyme I bought in the store.  I freeze the fresh herbs that I know I won't use up entirely before they start to go bad in the fridge.  Below are packages of thyme and chives I have in the freezer.  I have also saved these plastic packages and filled with my garden herbs and frozen for use during the winter months.

I had dried a fair amount of thyme from last year's garden but have used it all.  Now that spring is here my garden thyme is making a come back and I look forward to using it.





 Ingredient
2

Green tea bags (or mint)
6 cups
1.5 litres
Water, boiling
1 Tbsp
15 ml
Fresh thyme (about 3 sprigs if using whole)
1 Tbsp
15 ml
Maple syrup



METHOD: 


1.  Add tea bags and fresh thyme to tea pot.   Pour boiling water over.  Leave to steep 10 minutes.


2.  Sweeten with maple syrup to taste.





SLOW COOKER: Pour boiling water over tea bags and thyme.  Keep the brew on LOW until ready to serve.  Remove tea bags and thyme before serving if you wish.  


The tea below was in the slow cooker about 6 hours.  Open the lid and the aroma of thyme wafts throughout the room.  I didn't remove the bags or sprigs in the batch below and it had a nice rich colour and flavourful.



Nutrients (per 1/4th recipe – 1 ½ cup or 375 ml)


Calories
15
Protein (g)
0
Total Fat (g)
0
Saturated Fat (g)
0
Carbohydrate (g)
4
Fibre (g)
0
Cholesterol (mg)
0
Sodium (mg)
15
%DV

Calcium
2
Iron
2
Vitamin A
2
Vitamin C
4


No comments: