Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chive & Honey Vinaigrette

Vinaigrettes are versatile.  You can use them as marinades as well as salad dressings.  I like to make my own as I can use what I have handy in the kitchen along with in-season herbs and vegetables from the garden.  Over the years I have found ways to create dressings that taste excellent while being lower in calories, fat and salt and have ZERO additives and preservatives.  




Notice I say lower in fat and not "no fat."  Eating oil with salad greens and other vegetables helps you to absorb the fat soluble vitamins such as beta-carotene (pre-vitamin A) and vitamin K.  Healthy oils are also beneficial as they help you stay full longer.


Traditional vinaigrettes are 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar (i.e., 3/4 cup oil to 1/4 cup vinegar.)  That is why they are so high in calories.  Play with this…. I mostly use 1 part oil to 1 part vinegar.  I admit I do like vinegar and do admit I have a "sour tooth."  Another good combination is 1 part oil: 1 part vinegar with 1 part white wine/stock/ juice or water.  Remember not to overdress your salad – ¼ to 1/3 c (60-75 ml) of vinaigrette should dress 8 cups (2 liters) of salad greens.

Makes 440 ml - 1 3/4 cups - about 30 x 15 ml servings

# volume
(# mL)
Ingredient
¼ cup
60 ml
Chives, green, finely sliced
½ cup
125 ml
Honey – I used Board’s garlic honey
½ cup
125 ml
Chive vinegar (recipe at this blog)
½ cup
125 ml
Olive oil, XV, cold pressed
1 tsp
5 ml
Dijon mustard, prepared

1.  Finely slice green ends of chives.  Set aside.
2.  Combine all ingredients in a glass jar.  Cover with lid and shake well to combine.  For a more stable emulsion and a creamier texture, process in the blender, food processor or use an immersion  blender (the stick.)  

Nutrients Per 15 ml (tablespoon)

Calories
50
Total Fat (g)
3.5
Saturated Fat (g)
0.5
Carbohydrate (g)
5
Fibre (g)
0
Sugar (g)
5
Cholesterol (mg)
0
Sodium (mg)
0
Protein (g)
0
%DV

Calcium
0
Iron
0
Vitamin A
0
Vitamin C
0

© Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc

No comments: