Monday, July 6, 2009

Strawberry Wine Cassis - a fun spin on using local strawberries



We are in the midst of strawberry season! I bought two of the 4 liter baskets from Schlosser Farms at the Powassan Farmer's Market Saturday morning. From them I was able to make a lot of things! First was the big batch of whole-grain strawberry pancakes, then 3 liters of this white wine & strawberry cassis and finally eight pint/500 ml jars of strawberry balsamic conserve... plus whatever the kids and I ate along the way. Picked berries cost about double the price of picking your own. I paid $13 for a 4 liter basket. Schlosser's didn't open their pick-your-own operation this year but you can pick at Becker's Berry Patch in Nipissing village.

A cassis is a fruit flavoured liqueur. The most famous is made from black currants. This recipe cambe to me from Lisa Cancade Hackett. She told me at the time that the original version was a Martha Stewart. My notes show I made it in 2003 and 2004 and I remember everyone loving it! It is a popular treat, especially in the dead of winter. It is sweet and you can further dilute it with soda or white wine when serving. I haven't tried it but I imagine you can make this with red wine.

6 cups dry white wine (2 x 750 ml bottles)
3 cups sugar, white - 750 ml
3 cups crushed fruit (cranberries, cherries, raspberries and/or strawberries) - 750 ml


Prepare fruit and crush with a potato masher in a large bowl. Alternately, puree with an immersion (stick) blender.
Mix in white wine and sugar. The sugar will dissolve under refrigeration.
Store in one or more glass containers in the fridge. It takes approximately 21 days to "cure." You may strain out fruit before serving if you wish.

NUTRITION FACTS (per 1/2 cup or 125 ml serving): 180 calories, 0 g fat, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber. %Daily Values are 25% vitamin C, 2% calcium and 15% iron.


© Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc

Our next cooking class coming up at Chapman's Landing is "Tikka and Tandoori" Indian cooking on Sunday July 19th. Please see my menu and register online at http://www.chapmanslanding.com

No comments: